Squeaking Gates: How do I Stop it?
If you have squeaking gates, it can be really annoying and disruptive. Not only is it irritating to listen to every time you enter or exit your home, but it’s also embarrassing if you’re having visitors or throwing a party. Fortunately, there are some easy and simple ways to fix squeaky gate hinges so that they don’t make any more noise. We will explore why this problem happens and how to stop a hinge from squeaking.
Why do Gate Hinges Squeak?
Gate hinges can squeak for a number of reasons, but the most common cause is dry, rusty or old hardware that simply needs lubrication. After time, the metal of gate hinges can start to corrode and dry out, making them squeak. This corrosion can also make it difficult for the hinge to move properly, causing more noise.
This means that the hinges are typically the cause of a squeaking gate, and fortunately, all it takes to fix them is to use some lubricant or WD-40. Read on to find out more about how to stop a hinge from squeaking with the various lubricants.
What to Use to Lubricate Your Squeaking Gates
To lubricate your gate hinges, it’s best to use a product specifically made for metal surfaces, such as:
- WD-40: WD-40 is a type of lubricant that can be used to loosen and remove corrosion, preventing squeaks. It’s best to spray the hinges lightly with WD-40 and then wipe off any excess. You can find WD-40 at most hardware stores, and as it usually comes in an aerosol can with a straw attached, it makes it easy to reach the hinge securely and accurately.
- Petroleum jelly: Petroleum jelly is a type of lubricant that can be used to soften and protect the metal surface of your gate hinges. It’s best to use a cotton swab or cloth soaked in petroleum jelly, so you don’t have any excess on your hands.
If you don’t have any of these products on hand, there are some quick fixes for squeaking gates:
- Hairspray: Hairspray can be used to lubricate and prevent rust from forming on your gate hinges. Spray the hinge with hairspray, then let it sit for a few minutes before wiping off any excess.
- Bar soap: Rubbing bar soap on your gate hinges can help lubricate them and reduce squeaks. Be sure to use a soft cloth, so you don’t scratch the surface of the hinge.
- Olive oil: A thin layer of olive oil can be used to lubricate and protect metal surfaces. Simply rub a cloth or cotton ball soaked in olive oil onto the gate hinge, then wipe off any excess.
Crocketts Gates provide high quality hinges on all of our gates that are durable enough to deal with rigorous use over many years. Our experienced team of professionals is experienced in designing and installing all kinds of gates in Aylesbury and the surrounding areas. With our years of experience and knowledge, we have the expertise to make sure that your gate hinges are working efficiently and effectively. Contact us today for more information!